Joel Salatin is the self-proclaimed “lunatic farmer” who has been struggling against industrial farming methods and the government regulations which favor them to create a set of holistic agricultural practices. Inspired by his pasture raised chicken system, we’ve been raising our broilers in so-called chicken tractors. The basic idea is a bottomless moveable coop that gives the chickens access to fresh greens and bugs, while their waste returns nutrients to the soil. This is the second of this kind of tractor we have built, and we have improved on the design in several ways.
Here is the frame that we built. The dimensions of the tractor are 8’ X 8’ X 2’. For materials we went with 2”X2” lumber, partly because we had a bunch lying around, but also because it will result in a very light frame that will be easy to pull around.
The triangly corner bits are made out of plywood, and serve to provide cross bracing, as well as increased surface area to screw things together.
“Triangly corner bits” is the technical term
The hatch doors were built in place to assure a good fit. The pieces were cut and clamped in place with some shim material to leave a gap with the frame, then the cross bracing corner pieces were screwed on from underneath. We went with hatches on opposing corners to give us greater access when it comes time to get the chickens out of the tractor. With two hatches on the same side they have a tendency to hide in the back.
We also installed some support pieces in each quadrant to prevent pooling of water.
The feeder hangs from the hatch in such a way that opening it raises the feeder out of the tractor. This allows us to move the tractor without removing the feeder. An additional benefit is that we can pour the feed in without having to contend with a chicken feeding frenzy.
The waterer is a bucket with 6 horizontal chicken nipples screwed into it. We’ve found this setup to be vastly superior to any other watering system. It’s simple, effective, and low maintenance. The horizontal nipples do not have the leaking issues that the vertical ones are known for. The bucket rests on support beams and is attached to the side of the tractor with a bungee cord, again allowing us to move the tractor without needing to remove it. We also installed a piece that the hatch can be propped up with to allow one person to refill the water on their own.
Instead of using a hand truck to move the tractor like some designs call for, we opted to install wheels on the back. The frame lays flat on the ground when not in motion, but when the front is raised up to pull the tractor, the back also raises up several inches, to prevent slow chickens from getting their feet caught under it.
Here is the final result. We used EPDM (pond liner) instead of sheet metal for the covered sections because it is lighter, easier to work with, weather-proof, and again we had a bunch lying around. The back half is completely covered to provide shelter from wind, rain, and sun. The front half is mostly open to allow for good ventilation and access to the sun, and it is covered with chicken wire.
And here are the chickens, checking out their new digs.